Facebook twitter followgram pinterest

Engine room fire causes Princess to cancel two Royal Princess sailings

Posted by Anita Dunham-Potter On June - 20 - 2009

In the aftermath of Thursday’s engine room fire, Princess Cruises announced that it will cancel two upcoming voyages on Royal Princess. Princess stated that it had made the decision after a damage assessment revealed that the 680-passenger vessel had been more affected by the fire than originally thought.

“We have spent the day thoroughly reviewing the condition of the engines,” the line said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the impact is more extensive than originally thought and the ship must be moved to a shipyard to complete the necessary repairs.”

“We understand that this is a disappointing development, and we sincerely apologize to our passengers for the disruption to their vacation,” the line’s statement says.
Princess is offering passengers on the cancelled voyages a full refund, plus a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid for the sailings. Additionally, the company is in the process of getting flights home for the passengers who were on the ship when the fire broke out.

At the time of the fire, Royal Princess was on the fifth day of a 12-day Holy Land sailing between Civitavecchia and Athens.

Filled Under Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *